Friday, February 18, 2011

Cheap Fun with the Kid's!

Most of you know I am a Mommy to 3 little girls, my children range in age from 10 years old down to 10 months old! I am always looking for fun things to do with my girl's that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!  I will share a few things I have come up with and would love to hear other ideas.

Scavenger Hunt
This is by far my 10 year old's favorite!  I usually do this for Valentine's day and hide about 5 clues and at the end they get a small present.  I got this idea from a back in the day Jon & Kate Plus 8 episode.  If you lack in the creative department, google scavenger hunt clues and a whole bunch come up!

Baking
Since I coupon I get a ton of cookie, brownie and cake mixes for next to nothing!  This is something we can do and enjoy together.  This is my 4 year old's favorite!

Crafts
I am a huge fan of the plastic sun catchers!  We have a bunch along with the paintbrushes and paints.  Both the girl's love to paint these and give them as presents to their Grandma's!

Cleaning Pennies
I have not done this project with my girls but it's on the list.  When I was in high school, I taught preschool through my Child Development class and this was one thing we did.  You get the old, ugly, lost their shine pennies and make them sparkle again!  Drop the penny into the vinegar and then rub salt on it when you take it out. Tada! Clean pennies!

Make Oobleck!
This is another one I learned in Child Development.  Head here for the recipe!

Scrap Paper and Scissors
Expired coupons?  The cartoons?  Junk mail?  Leftover construction paper?  Throw it in an old shoe box with scissors and let your child go to town!  My 4 yr old loves to cut her "coupons"!

Make a tent
Have a contest and see who can make the better tent Mommy or Daddy?  Or maybe the kids can! Even my 10 month old like tents!

Makeovers, Manicures and Pedicures!
This might not be fun for those of you with boys!  My girl's and I love to do this kind of thing.  For us it's more of a spring/summer thing but we love to paint toes and nails!  Also my girl's love to do my makeup and me do theirs!

Plays and Concerts
Ask your child to preform for you!  One night my girl's had a concert for my husband and I!  I have never in my life laughed so hard. They came up with their own lyrics and songs and made instruments. It was so cute and warmed my heart to see they worked together for hours to do it.

Take a Walk, Have a Picnic!
I am a huge fan of packing a picnic and going to the park.  It can be as easy or fancy as you want it to be.  In the summer we like to buy a bag of water balloons from the dollar store and take them to the park.  We usually all leave soaked and smiling! 

I think this weekend when I am doing my grocery shopping I am going to pick up some cornstarch so we can make Ooblek!

No comments:

Post a Comment